Are you interested in pursuing an exciting
year-round island-based career?
A PATH TO SUCCESS
Begin a training program that will increase your ability to work on Martha’s Vineyard as a technician in the offshore wind industry! This training program and certificate is offered to any adult on Martha’s Vineyard interested in a career in applied wind technology, “green energy,” renewable energy and engineering. It is also offered to MVRHS students as part of a 29 college-credit Certificate Program.
Certificate of Recognition in Offshore Wind Power Technician, Bristol Community College
• This is a 2-year, part-time program with evening classes. All classes are held on Martha’s Vineyard except where noted.
• This certificate prepares students as technicians for the offshore wind power industry. Students learn aspects of applied technology such as electrical machinery, fluid systems, materials science and gain hands-on experience with assembly, installation, operation and maintenance of wind power systems.
• Students develop practical skills associated with the operation, maintenance and troubleshooting of mechanical systems (hydraulics, pneumatics, mechanisms, and wind power devices).
• Graduates can work as turbine and foundation installers and operation and maintenance (O&M) technicians in the land-based or offshore wind industry or in a variety of marine trades professions at the technical level.
AN OPPORTUNITY FOR YEAR-ROUND EMPLOYMENT
The offshore wind industry is expanding along the US Eastern seaboard — it is estimated that will directly create thousands of jobs for the south coast through development, construction and operations over the next 25-30 years. Start training now and get in on the ground floor!
WHEN AND WHERE WILL THE COURSES BE OFFERED?
Where: The majority of classes will be taught at the MV Regional High School by Bristol Community College faculty.
When: First classes start January 22, 2020 and are scheduled for the early evening to accommodate a person who is employed during the day and for MVRHS students.
Duration: It is estimated that it will take applicants up to two years to complete the full Certification Program
Candidates must meet these requirements:
• Authorized to work in the USA
• Have taken high school math or equivalent
• Able to speak and write English fluently and clearly
• Have a “head for heights” and “sea legs” (EGR 162, EGR 182 and many marine and wind industry careers require good physical health and the ability to swim and/or climb. Students with issues in these areas should discuss them with the program coordinator before enrollment.)
• ELECTRICAL MACHINERY (EGR 151) | Wednesday nights 6-9pm, Jan 22-May 6 (no class during school holidays)
• *COLLEGE ALGEBRA (MTH 152) | Online – *may not be mandatory
• FLUID SYSTEMS (EGR 171) | TBD
• ELECTRICAL MACHINERY II (EGR TBD) | TBD
• WIND POWER TECHNOLOGY (EGR 282) | TBD
• WIND POWER O&M (EGR 283) | TBD
• MARINE & WIND SAFETY (EGR 162 & 182) | TBD
• PRINCIPLES OF ECOLOGY (SCI 112) | TBD
WHO IS OFFERING THIS TRAINING PROGRAM?
ACE MV, Vineyard Power Cooperative and Bristol Community College are partnering to provide this certificate.
This program is funded in part by a grant from the Vineyard Wind and the Massachusetts Clean Energy Center. Financial assistance and scholarships are available.
I’M INTERESTED. WHAT DO I DO NOW?
If you’re interested in becoming a certified technician in this field, here’s what to do next:
1) If you missed our last one, come to our next Info Session/Open House:
Tuesday, December 3 6pm-8pm
at MVRHS Library
RSVP not necessary, but appreciated!
2) Contact Carlos Avila at Bristol Community College’s Admissions Department:
Carlos Avila, BCC Senior Admissions Counselor
He can help you enroll, and he can connect you with the Financial Aid Department.
3) Interested people ages 18-25 should also contact MV Youth for potential scholarship information:
Lindsey Scott Executive Director MV Youth
(Vineyard Power and ACE MV are partnering to provide scholarships as well – details TBA)
4) Once you’ve enrolled with Bristol Community College, call ACE MV at 508-693-9222 to register for your first course in the program.
PLEASE NOTE: Time is running out – classes start January 22, 2020!
FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT
ACE MV 508-693-9222 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Vineyard Power 508-693-3002 | email@example.com