Are you interested in pursuing an exciting
year-round island-based career?
A PATH TO SUCCESS
Embark on a path that will give you the knowledge and credentials to become a technician in the offshore wind industry. This training program and certificate is offered to year-round Martha’s Vineyard residents interested in a career in applied wind technology, “green energy,” renewable energy and engineering.
AN OPPORTUNITY FOR YEAR-ROUND EMPLOYMENT
The offshore wind industry is expanding along the US Eastern seaboard — it is estimated that will directly create thousands of jobs for the south coast through development, construction and operations over the next 25-30 years. Start training now and get in on the ground floor!
“Certificate of Recognition –
Offshore Wind Power Technician”
from Bristol Community College
right here at home!
• This is a 2-year, part-time, 29 college-credit certificate program. Our first cohort kicked off in January 2020 and is expected to complete the program in Fall 2021. A new cohort begins in January 2021. The classes are held either online or in person on Martha’s Vineyard and taught by Bristol Community College faculty.
• This certificate prepares students as technicians for the offshore wind power industry. Students learn aspects of applied technology such as electrical machinery, fluid systems, materials science and gain hands-on experience with assembly, installation, operation and maintenance of wind power systems.
• Students develop practical skills associated with the operation, maintenance and troubleshooting of mechanical systems (hydraulics, pneumatics, mechanisms, and wind power devices).
• Graduates can work as turbine and foundation installers and operation and maintenance (O&M) technicians in the land-based or offshore wind industry or in a variety of marine trades professions at the technical level.
WHEN AND WHERE WILL THE COURSES BE OFFERED?
Where: Due to Covid-19, all classes will be taught remotely (online) until further notice. Once in-person learning becomes viable, the majority of classes will be taught on Martha’s Vineyard.
When: Our next cohort begins in January 2021, though students who qualify may be able to take classes with the current cohort starting as soon as this September. Classes are scheduled for the early evening to accommodate a person who is employed during the day and for MVRHS students.
Duration: It is estimated that it will take applicants up to two years to complete the full Certification Program.
Cost: Like any college-level certificate program, this is priced per course (as 3 or 4 credit courses). Please also plan for the cost of books and materials.
Candidates must meet these requirements:
• 17 years or older
• Authorized to work in the USA
• Able to speak, understand and write English fluently and clearly
• Have taken high school math or equivalent
• Comfortable with heights and sea travel
• Good physical health and the ability to swim and/or climb. Students with issues in these areas should contact email@example.com prior to enrollment.
• Access to a computer with reliable internet (for remote classes). Students who need assistance in this area should contact firstname.lastname@example.org prior to enrollment.
WHO IS OFFERING THIS TRAINING PROGRAM?
ACE MV, Vineyard Power Cooperative and Bristol Community College are partnering to provide this certificate.
This program is funded in part by a grant from the Massachusetts Clean Energy Center (MASS CEC).
I’M INTERESTED. WHAT DO I DO NOW?
If you’re interested in becoming a certified technician in this field, please fill out this application:
FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT
ACE MV 508-693-9222 | email@example.com